Monday, April 14, 2014

Project Life // Embellishments

As I was introduced to project life, my eyes were also opened to all the new things that were out there. There were classic embellishments that were re-imagined, and there were embellishments that I never even heard of before until now. Here are a list of things I use and things I've seen on many project life spreads.

Embellishments!


Enamel Dots // These little dots come in all sizes and basic shapes (but you will mostly see them as dots) and adds that pop of color and 3D element easily since they already have adhesive on the back.

Enamel Dots


Sequins // Before, the only way I would ever think of sequins is with clothes. Now, they are used to add that little sumthin sumthin, or pop of color, similar to enamel dots. You can see me use a lot of sequins in my spread to also make it more cohesive. Another reason why I love sequins is that you can get a lot for less money.

Sequins


Wood Veneers // These come in all shapes, sizes, and also in alphas. I love the look of these on layouts, it adds a fun detail without taking too much attention away from other elements, like photos. For the most part I like to keep them "naked", but I have seen them painted, inked, or even embossed. The one thing about these though, is that most of the time I have to bust out the tacky glue to adhere these to my PL cards, otherwise I would just use glue dots or my mini attacher.

Wood Veneer


Chipboard // Most of the time, you will see chipboard shapes as stickers which makes it really easy to add another 3D design element to your spreads. They come in all sorts of designs and

Chipboard


Cork // This is newer type of embellishment that I would like to play around with more. I have seen many people buy cork sheets and make shapes using die cuts or even with their silhouette. I have also seen others stamp on cork pieces and they look so cute. Most of the time cork shapes come without an adhesive backing, but I use glue dots or my tiny attacher and it works just fine.

Cork


Cut Files/Die Cuts // I also want to play around with cut files more. I love how I've seen many others use them, but I haven't really had the chance to get to experiment with these. I don't have a die cut machine, but I do have a Silhouette Cameo. Aside from shapes and letters you can cut out, I've seen many people create their own PL cards with cut files. Also with the Silhouette, you have the design studio where you can basically cut anything you create in the program. It's another part of project life I need to explore more of.

Cut Files


Stamping // Stamping has been around forever in the paper craft industry, but now they have so much more than traditional wood block stamps. Cling stamps and roller stamps for example are becoming more popular in the scrap booking/project life world. They add some nice dimension or little phrase/date that your card might need.

Stamping


Paper Clips // This again, is not something new, but something old; re-imagined. There are so many colors and shapes that have come out that can add that extra 3D element you're looking for.

Paper Clips


Stitching // Hand-stitching is now easier with stencil kits and embroidery tools. Some also use their sewing machine to help attach other elements or just to give it that little something extra and that shabby chic feel.

Hand Stitching on a photo


Flair // This is another embellishment I haven't had much of a chance to play around with, but I do like the way it looks when I use it on a card. These are fun because they add that 3D element and they can have fun sayings or designs on them.

Flair


Do you embellish your pages or do you keep it simple? Which are your new favorites? There's so much more to explore, so many options to choose from, I love it.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! I'm a newbie and this is awesome! It's hard as a newbie, starting with nothing and having to start collecting (without breaking the bank) Love the beautiful bright photos! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I'm glad it was helpful! I know its soo hard to not want to just buy everything right away! I gave up spending for Lent because I was buying wayyy too much craft supplies haha.. Hope you were able to take something from this post! :)

      Delete
  2. Fun post! I am just starting Project Life and I'm loving all the fun embellishments! My faves are chipboard, Thickers, dots, stamps, and sequins! I could spend way too much money on these things!

    ReplyDelete